Farmer's Market 8-3-19
It has been another very productive week on the farm. When we moved our main production to a five acre field next to the house, we knew that we wold have to deal with watering issues since there were no water lines to that field. Our large production field in the back (which we have used for years) has multiple hydrants and water lines going everywhere. We will eventually put in water lines in the new area but we are still in the "experimental" stage with this field and I'm not sure where they might go. So, in the meantime, we have run a two inch main from a hydrant on the front of the house out to the field. After several 90 degree turns and almost 500 ft of two inch lay flat, we finally got, water to the different plots we are using this year.
However, we discovered that there wasn't enough pressure to spin the sprinklers we were hoping to use. It was back to the drawing board. I made diagrams and took pictures of the system and started sharing them with people in the know to see if they could help solve the problem. This included irrigation company representatives, hydrologists, UK's irrigation specialist and an Amish friend who knows everything there is to know about irrigation. No one could figure it out. The math and physics involved in system design says it should work but it wouldn't.
That's the end of the story. See you all at the market today.
No, that wouldn't be a very good ending. Thanks to the help of our trusted farm assistant Jeremy, I decided to completely redesign the system and try it from another angle. It took us all week and two long days of me driving great distances to get some new irrigation supplies for this to happen. Beth and I spent all day Thursday traveling around Central Kentucky gathering supplies and it took us (mostly Jeremy, like 99% Jeremy) to get everything installed yesterday. So far, it seems to be working really well.
I think sometimes people think of farming as days of boring repetition of the same tasks done each year. Planting and harvesting. Oh, and also weeding. Oh, and also watering. Oh, and also figuring fertility needs and how they should be met. Oh, and examining plants to insect or disease pressure and figuring an appropriate organic method to deal with. Oh, and dealing with -- you name it.
Some tasks can be incredibly boring. We often joke that if we send two people out to pick beans, they will know each other's life story by the end of the day. You gotta figure how to pass the time with a monotonous task like that. Never pick beans alone. It is dangerous. There are therapists who deal with bean picking trauma as their specialty.
So yes, some things are repetitive and can even be boring at times. But then you get opportunities like we had this week. A chance to find a solution when professional advice doesn't shed much light on the subject. We had a chance to be creative. To call upon all those skills, intellect, experience (individual and shared) to find a solution. It took Monday-Friday to finally succeed, and yes, the journey may have been more important than the destination, but in this case we needed the destination to be a place that worked!
As I have told you earlier, we are behind several weeks on much of our produce. But it is catching up and looking great. Squash and Zucchini are especially prolific right now so please come help yourself to it. Beth is excited that her flowers are starting to come in now and she will have several to share with you today. And, the herbs are looking beautiful and looking for a home at your place.
I am proud of the stuff we grow. It is tasty. It doesn't cost that much. It is healthy for you and your family. Oh, and it helps keep us going. Oh, and it inspires us to come up with creative solutions when we could just give up. Oh, and all of us working together are helping to make this world a better place.
And oh, there isn't an end to the story. Thanks to you it keeps going.